Monday, December 19, 2011

A BLAST FROM THE PAST: "SPECIAL UNIT 2"

So recently I've had the pleasure of tracking down a golden oldie from the year of yester, back when The CW was still called UPN (Under Paid Negros, yes, we all know and made that joke). What's this golden oldie I'm talking about ?


YES! "Special Unit 2" was a TV show back in that day that was more or less a precursor for "Supernatural" and post "Men In Black" era, when aliens and supernatural creatures were all the rage for gritty detective stories and super secret agencies that dealt with things that went bump in the night. I don't remember much of the series but I DID remember a particular episode that REALLY stuck with me. It was an episode in their Second Season called "The Invisible", the main villain of the episode was (brace yourself for it) THE BOOGEYMAN! Not this guy...

Sorry player.

The thing that stuck out in my mind was their depiction of The Boogeyman, as not just some random monster that lingers in the closets of young boys BUT rather a Predator-esque hunter who murders babysitters and mothers and steals their heads as trophies. Not to mention that when you finally DO see The Boogeyman he looks pretty bad ass, like a cross between a member of Slipknot & Mushroomhead. He doesn't speak but I imagine him to be WAY more awesome than the Boogeyman depicted in his titular movie..


At any rate, the series is NOT without it's flaws and I was informed that it ran re-runs on The Sci-Fi channel (which makes me wish I had Cable) BUT it was a nifty little series back in it's hayday of 2001 & 2002 and I encourage everyone to give it a shot and check it out as it certainly was one of the pioneering shows for this genre. And as a side note it seems I have an unconscious attraction to certain producers because this show was created by Evan Katz, who served as producer of one of my favorite shows "24"...then again he did produce "The Event"...and we all know how I feel about that...but just as a side note does that happen to anyone else ? Anyway, YEAH! "SPECIAL UNIT 2" give it a shot find it where you can and let me know what you think. PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment