Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Hate Watching: And Why I Don't Do it

So The CW has begun production on a live-action "Powerpuff Girls" TV show, after promptly checking to make sure it wasn't April 1st and Ashton Kutcher or Gaten Mazaratto weren't lurking about, I decided to accept this as the reality I live in and figured that I'd get a blog post out of it. However, not the kind of blogpost you'd expect but a different one, which one? I'll tell ya, after the break;

So back in the day, I used to host a show called "The Best Of The Worst", where I'd review movies perceived by audiences to be the worst movie ever made and I'd give them a fair shake at either proving this to be true or explaining why the film isn't good but certainly not the worst. Either way, the object of the show was to explore and explain as I was curious myself and besides why watch a bad movie if you can't riff on it later? In doing this show I learned the difference between Bad Bad movie and a Good Bad Movie. Lemme explain; there are some movies that are so bad they're unbearable to watch, mostly because they're boring these are your Bad Bad movies, then there are your Good Bad movies, movies so bad it's hilarious how bad they are. I enjoy Good Bad movies because they're always good for a laugh. Why am I discussing all of this? To put something in context for you and that is this, the concept of "Hate-watching", which is going out of your way to watch something for the sole purpose of disliking it.

When it comes to the topic of this live-action "Powerpuff Girls", like the guy who got his brains bashed in by The Bear Jew, I respectfully decline. In other words, I refuse to watch it. Why? Because all signs point to this project sucking more than...well, I can think of a million ways to finish that, the point is this show is gonna SUCK and I don't wanna watch anything that's gonna suck. And I don't mean the kind of suck where it's entertaining, like "Riverdale", "Riverdale" SUCKS! But it's dumb enough for me to be enthralled in it week after week just so I can see how bad it can suck. "Riverdale" is a stupid show but it's entertaining in it's stupidity. Now granted, I'm not a fan of Archie comics, familiar with them, of course, but not a fan, now granted, the show has strayed SO far away from the characters in the comics that one say they're not even the same characters (and they're not) but I imagine for actual Archie fans the show is probably the bane of their existence.

I am a fan of "Powerpuff Girls", I used to watch them all the time growing up and still remember many episodes and lines from that show from Mojojojo explaining how he does not reiterate himself or say the same exact thing he said but in a different way or repeat himself or is redundant in his speech, or Bubbles's extremely cute voice saying "Mercy's for the weak!" as she pummeled a dog and let's not forget Him threatening to destroy the girls with tooth decay...good times. So this show, not only is it a bad idea on paper but the "Powerpuff Girls" don't need a live-action version, they were made specifically for animation and furthermore, this is on THE CW, a network known for teen dramas (because let's face it their core demographic are teenage girls 12-16...maybe...I don't know...I just know adults ain't watchin' that crap...except for me...when I watch "Riverdale"....SHUT UP! I feel you judging me!).

Also, the outfits may be accurate...but that's the problem...

For the same reason I'm not watching the current "Batwoman" show (or "Supergirl"...although I had every inclination to watch "Supergirl" it just never happened for me) because it'd just be hate-watching it and I'm not interested in wasting my time watching something I know I'm going to hate. This isn't the same as watching something hoping it will become better. I've watched shows where I wished I liked them case in point "The Event", "Flashforward", "The Cape" "Re:Zero", the list goes on and on, the point is I'm not going to force myself to like something and I'm going to force myself to watch something that sucks. So this "Powerpuff Girls" show, I'll be watching reviews but I'll be damned if I watch a single episode myself. Furthermore, hate-watching only generates viewers, as Producers have made it VERY clear, bad reviews DON'T matter to them, as long as they have eyes, I'll keep making crap, I'd rather they made crap that was actually funny like "Riverdale". That'll do it for me, ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment