Thursday, August 17, 2017

Anime RE-Claimed: Prison School

As my Anime RE-Claimed series continued I tried to figure out what would be the next anime I'd sink my teeth into. I enjoyed "High School Of The Dead", LOVED "One Punch Man", the less said about "The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya" the better, but unfortunately I don't go searching for anime. That is to say, I don't go out of my way to try and find anime. Usually what gets my eye is a really good cosplay, maybe a panel or two posted somewhere and a character who looks interesting and then I'm interested. "Prison School" got me for a number of reasons: for starters, I'm currently working on a screenplay with a similar premise but completely different genre and I saw some really good cosplays for it. And considering where I work (which pretty much is a prison) I figured this could be interesting, everything you need to know is in the title "Prison School". So here's what's up with "Prison School".

"Prison School" is a laugh riot and a fun watch. The story is about 5 guys who get accepted into an all girl school and their first night there they attempt to go peeping, this infraction gets the boys in trouble with the Gesta Poesque Underground Student Council and they're sentenced to hard time in the school's prison. That's the basic premise but the series is so much more. It's part "Prison Break", part "Shawshank Redemption" and part "Golden Boy" all wrapped up in a big perverted package of teenage hormones. The characters in this series, even the members of The Underground Student Council are memorable and hilarious in their own right.


What easily stands out is the boys, specifically Kiyoshi & Shingo who are the more normal of the two, and while Kiyoshi is the straight man a lot of the comedy stems from Gakuto, Kiyoshi's friend who speaks as if he's royalty yet his vocal inflections make him sound more frantic than dignified. Nonetheless their interactions and break out plan is hilarious and if Gakuto can't get you to laugh then you just have no sense of funny. Andre & Jo are also great characters, sadly they don't get much to do but they're just as funny and play well to bounce off the others in balancing the straight men & the comedic one between themselves. Shingo however gets the most character development and his story arc has one of the better ends to it. All in all The Boys are great endearing characters, despite their perversion their zeal and never say die attitudes make them awesome.


The Underground Student Council, YIKES, they're absolutely terrifying, however one of the things I wished the series explored (and maybe they do in the manga) is I wanted to see the difference in their personality when interacting with the other girls. Meiko for example is INCREDIBLY self-conscious and always second guessing herself especially when it comes to her interactions with Mari. It'd be nice to see Meiko's facade crack and see a vulnerable side of her. Mari likewise as a character is completely impenetrable and we don't really see her motivation for hating the boys so much as to be disgusted with the entire male gender (this is hinted at with the interactions with The Father, an ass man who is insanely bad at hiding the many photos of bodacious Brazilian bottoms he has stashed out in the open) but a little more exploration with her character would have made her character much more interesting.


Finally, there's Hana...and well...she's just nuts, BUT she's the only member of The Underground Student Council that we see in vulnerable state and does open up. She's still psycho with a capital "P", even going beyond hilarious and moving straight into downright horror territory, I do feel like I'm slowly getting her character. But that's the awful thing about the series is that there won't be a 2nd Season and the manga is still on going, so if I want to see these characters explored more I'll have to get the manga...not doing that...just no...why wallet doesn't need that drama. All in all, within the 12 episodes I laughed, I was touched and genuinely had a good time with this series. Although it's lacking in a few areas, the simple premise provides the show with much to do already that it doesn't beg for anything else. That'll do it for me guys, catch ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment